Thursday, April 26, 2007
Yellow Fever
I (Jamie) am just now recovering from an adverse reaction to the Yellow Fever Vaccination Corey and I got a couple weeks ago. I became quite ill Monday night, and my symptoms--unbelievable headache, chills, blurred vision, nausea, extreme aching-- only increased in severity as Tuesday wore on, despite the Advil I was taking. When I realized I wouldn't be able to sleep due to the pain, I finally called the doc hoping to get a phone remedy from the nurse. She told me to get in the car and go to the after hours office immediately. Long story short, because this particular vaccine is live, an adverse reaction can hit about two weeks after you get it, just like your symptoms would show up about two weeks after exposure if you really got Yellow Fever. The travel doc who gave us our vaccines said, "Sorry. You're getting a taste of what Yellow Fever feels like." They sent me home with a lot of Vicadin (sp?). Clearly, I am nearly out of the woods, though, because there was no way I could have looked at a computer screen not too long ago. As one of my good friends said, "Ha! It's like you're in labor!" How fitting, since the vaccination was, of course, in preparation for our trip to Liberia. Poor Micah; he'll probably be hearing about this for the rest of his life!