Saturday, March 21, 2009

California!




On Thursday, we started our day at La Jolla Beach. Ever since I posted that sneak peek of Micah under the 8 miles per hour arrow, tons of people have asked me if we're going to get him a skateboard for his birthday. We just might have to...





We had lunch at a fun local burger joint, and got to eat overlooking the beach:

Then we were off to a gorgeous park on some other beach with seals (I was completely lost by this point--for all I know, it was the same beach...):




We wrapped up our Thursday in Old Town San Diego. We dined at Casa De Reyes, which was beautiful and yummy! It was my favorite stop of our whole trip. Ironically, I don't have any pictures of it... :0( Oh well, I did get to take a picture of a couple with their camera while we were there, so that makes me happy. ;0) I would seriously love, love, love to do an Engagement Shoot there. C'mon! Anybody? The airfare's not too bad...

On Friday, we went to Disney's California Adventure. For those of you who are as clueless as me, it's a park attached to Disneyland, that was added on sometime between when I visited as a kid and now. They had lots of great rides for littler kids, and classic California tunes, like "California Girls", were blasting everywhere we went. This is the entrance to the park. If you look hard in the background, you'll see "CALIFORNIA" spelled out in ginormous letters.







I pretty much never use my flash, so I usually just put my camera away at night, and often when I'm indoors. But I wondered if all the lights at the park would be enough for me to get a good exposure even though it was pitch black as we were leaving, so I gave it a whirl. People were looking at me like I was a complete idiot, snapping away without using flash in the inky darkness... I was pretty stoked with the results:





On Saturday, we saw Sea World:


We were super excited that Jocelyn and her son Isaac joined us for our Sea World outing! Jocelyn got to meet Micah before we did, and she just holds a special place in my heart. We endured the adoption "waiting game" together online, and it was really fun to finally meet her, and her son that we have lifted in prayer so many times! She's even better in real life than she is in cyber-world, and she's pretty awesome in cyber-world. ;0)


I also love this pic in chocolate:


On Sunday, we got to visit two big churches. First up was Harvest Christian Fellowship. We loved the modern and creative design! We sat outside in the overflow area, below, and got sunburned during church. Yep, sunburned. During church. That just doesn't happen in the Pacific Northwest!



Next up was Saddleback Church. We loved the grandeur of it all! I think sometimes we get into the rut of thinking it's somehow more holy to do things (church buildings, decor, even our own clothing, etc.) with only the functional in mind; not considering form. But God is obviously interested in beauty. After all, He's an amazing artist! The MOST amazing artist!! It was fun to see such a beautiful, creative place to worship. You know it's big when they have their own streets...

This is a side/back view of one of the check-in counters for kids:


Our last day was spent at Disneyland. Once again, I decided to pick up my camera when I normally wouldn't have. The shops along Main Street were lit up with all kinds of accent lighting inside, so I gave it a go while we were waiting for K to get her coffee fix, and it worked!



More "in the dark with no flash" experimentation inside "It's a Small World":


We weren't sure whether Kendra would like roller coasters. This was the first one she ever rode. Thunder Mountain Railroad. I think she liked it okay...

Thanks again, M Fam, for an INCREDIBLE time!!!!! We love you!!