
Following some advice from a GREAT book I just finished reading (Learning to See Creatively, by Bryan Peterson), I decided to "see" the park from a new perspective: Micah's. So, here's what he sees, brought to you by my knees and back. ;0)








MUCH more interesting and fun than how I normally see it, huh?
I recommend this book to everyone, not just those who have a "photography hobby on steroids" like me. (Or, as my Mom told me, "...more like a hobby on meth"... not exactly sure what she meant by that!?)
The practical exercises lined out in the book have already helped me to start seeing and enjoying God's creation more fully. It's not a Christian book, but I believe it can be a great tool for helping people see, enjoy, and ponder the Master Artist.
Plus, it helps you consider some very interesting details about how God created you--specifically, how He wired you to "see" creation. For example, there's a section on the 6 basic elements of design. The author suggests rounding up several of your favorite photos, and then examining them closely to see which elements you tend to be drawn to. It was immediately obvious to me that I'm drawn to form and color. I rarely "see" lines or shapes. So part of my goal this morning as we headed to the park was to try to "see" lines and shapes. Flowers and toes shots notwithstanding, I'm pretty happy with the results! ;0) I could totally see parents using this book, and some of the exercises in it, to help expand their kids' creativity--I certainly intend to! (FYI, I was able to borrow this book from my library--but it's definitely on my "wish to own" list!)
I plan to try many more of the exercises he suggests, like taking photos around a theme, such as "loneliness" or "joy". So for all of you who are rolling your eyes at this dive into the world of artsy fartsy, prepare yourselves! There's more to come!! ;0)