Saturday, July 19, 2008

I'm Married To A 35 Year Old!!!

For some reason, my husband's birthdays hit me harder than my own... ha, ha!



What really hits me is the grace God has shown me by allowing me to "do life" with this man. I totally married up! With each passing year, Corey continues to allow God to transform him into a more Godly, selfless, tender, steadfast, inspirational human being... and he was already all of those things when I met him 14 years ago! I am so undeserving of the privilege to share my life with such a great man. I am so happy and full right now, I can't possibly imagine what the next 35 years will bring... but I sure am looking forward to them!



When Corey and I married in 1995, we had a family friend take pictures for us. We worked so hard making sure we got pictures of this family grouping and that family grouping that we completely forgot to have a pic taken of just Corey and me! Here's the closest we got:



Now, with my photography obsession, as I began looking through professional photographer's (mostly pro wedding photogs) blogs for inspiration several months back, I started thinking more about how I would love to have a picture of Corey and I from our wedding day. I wouldn't dream of climbing back into that monster of a dress even if I still owned it, but it occurred to me that we could just have some pictures done now. We're not getting any younger, and I'd really like to have something to look back on when we're rocking side by side in the Nursing Home some day!



So... I talked my cousin Byron and his amazing photographer wife (who is also my close friend and photography mentor) into meeting up with Corey and me for our first date since bringing Micah home. I took pictures of them, and she took pictures of us. (Kim, we can't thank you enough! Thank you thank you thank you!! God has given you incredible, incredible talent. We LOVE the pics, and will truly cherish them throughout our lifetime.) I thought I'd share a few of the pics Kim got of my chiseled 35-year-old hubby and me:







In the end, I'm glad it worked out the way it did, with us having our "couple" photos done more than a decade into marriage instead of the day it started. To me, a moment like the one Kim captured next is much more romantic when I know I'm leaning on the man who waited three months before he made his first big move and held my pinkie when we were dating, the man who stood strong for both of us through who knows how many miscarriages--and led the way in our decision to adopt (it's usually the wife pulling the hubby along), the man who decided we were resourceful enough to build a log home with our own hands, the man who pushes me out the door to spend time with my girlfriends so he can have time with the kids even though he works almost double the hours of a standard work week, the man who just shakes his head and smiles when I write blog posts like this... I could go on and on!



To my unmarried readers, I want to share this: I am so, so thankful that Corey is a man of integrity. We saved intimacy for marriage, and words can not express the beauty of love shared freely in God's timing. Corey and my relationship is so deep, and so strong, and so fulfilling that it blows my mind. There's a reason the Song of Songs says "...not to awaken love until the time is right." (3:5) Not when we feel like the time is right, but when God says the time is right--after we're married! I can promise you from my personal experience: It really is worth it to wait!



To my married readers: Note that the verse doesn't just say "...not to awaken love." It goes on to say "...until the time is right." If you're married, the time is right! ;0) Awaken the love, people! I say this a bit tongue-in-cheek, not because it's not true, but because it's something I struggle with. I about passed out from embarrassment as we were taking this picture, and my cousin (who is like a brother, who I grew up having mud wars with, who I made forts in the woods with, who I had farting contests with--all of which was very comfortable for me, being the tomboy I was) was yelling from across the street, "Get your foot up! Higher! HIGHER!" So, I'm talking to myself right along with anyone else who's listening/reading when I say, "Awaken the love!" ;0)



Right after taking this pic, Corey says to me, "You know you're going to get sick now, right?" (He was super sick that day, poor guy.) Did I mention he's a complete romantic??? Ha ha haaaaa!



Happy 35th, Babe! Love you TONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!