I mentioned a while back that we only had two significant "baby gear" items we needed to secure: a Baby Bjorn-type front pack, and a changing table. Some very generous friends gave us not just any front pack, but a top of the line breathable fabric Baby Bjorn!!! Corey is especially ecstatic, because he tends to be hot all of the time, and Liberia is very hot (and humid). In fact, Corey has been on the hunt for breathable clothing and everything. He found some Hawaiian shirts at Wal-Mart that fit the bill, and I've taken to calling him Rick. (For those of you who have seen Rick Warren, Saddleback Pastor/Purpose Drive Life author, in person or on video, you'll know what I'm talking about!) We are super thankful that we'll have this nice breathable pack to tote Micah in while we're there, and when we get back, too!
I figured out that the JC Penny changing table/hutch combo that I had seen for $300 wasn't really $300... that was just for 1/2 of it! And we couldn't afford $300 to begin with... So, I finally gave in and came up with my own version of a changing station. I didn't want to have another project on my hands, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out, and I actually really enjoyed doing it. I found an old child's desk, removed the "decorative" trim at the back of it, added a shelf where the chair would have gone, made shelves to go on the wall above it, and made at least 3 trips to the store for more, more, more white spray paint! Here are the before and afters:
before
after
after