For starters, the airport was no biggie. We had to make an extra stop in Banjul, Gambia on the flight from Dakar to Monrovia. We had a delay getting off the ground in Banjul and thought we might be in for another wild bus ride and hotel stay... but they had simply forgotten to remove some covers or something. so we got into Monrovia late, about 11 p.m. or so, and that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Since flights usually don't come in past 7 p.m., there were a lot fewer people there to hassle us.
My biggest hassler was probably my husband, who kept asking if I was going to spray the 100% deet mosquito repellent on myself while we were waiting for our bags to come around on the conveyor. I said, "Not right now," since I was spending all of my mental energy on preparing to dive in and get our bags, and also just trying to breathe, as it was pretty stuffy. Next thing I know, as I'm gulping for air on the hot room, Corey is shooting me with the deet spray, which I inhaled... I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that can't be good...
We had two new friends from the plane tell us that they knew people working in the airport, and offered help should we need it. It's amazing how going through an ordeal together can bond people. It's also amazing how a little "shaking up" can thicken your skin in a hurry...
By the time we got to the Baggage Screener who was giving Corey a hard time, preparing to go through his luggage while simultaneously waving everyone else through, I just shouted over the din, "It's just donations for an orphanage!" the Screener's Supervisor, behind me, yelled to her, "It's for Orphanage Home! No check!" to which the Screener, quiet enough that her Supervisor couldn't hear her, says, "Ah... For Orphan Home. You will need to pay me." (Corruption is rampant here, so we had heard many stories of this kind of thing happening.) Corey couldn't understand her, and looked to me, so I just shouted, "We're good. Just keep moving!" She knew her Supervisor could hear me, and she let us pass.
It's at this moment that I hear somebody yelling, "Why are you hassling my people? They're with me! They're with Acres of Hope!" I look over and see a man with short salt-and-pepper hair who has the face and voice of Kevin Costner. It was Rich, the Guest House Host. He had two very sweet young men with him to help us with our luggage, as well as a Security Guard. Oh--About the yelling...
That is one of the first cultural differences I noticed. With my American mindset, I would think everyone here is constantly in "road rage" mode, but apparently their conversation is just very loud and animated. Rich and Lynda (Rich's wife) have said that it's also important to put up a strong front so you will not be taken advantage of. For example...
When we were about halfway from the airport to the Guest House, we came upon two UN Tanks with armed soldiers sitting on them. An officer came over to search our vehicle, and Rich started shouting at her: "What do you want to search for? I can't believe you would treat my family like this when they are just coming from the airport to visit me!" and so on and so forth. I was frozen in my seat, thinking this surely wasn't the way to be conducting oneself in the face of major gun power. But I asked about it later, and was told that it is important to present a strong front.
The Guest House is nice. It's a compound, really, tucked behind a 15' or so concrete wall topped with 3' wide spirals of barbed wire, and guarded 24-7. There is the Guest House, the Special Needs Orphanage with additional housing, the Guards' Shack, and a few other outbuildings. I am finding all of the people who work with Acres to be quite sincere and serious about their responsibilities. This morning when I took a diaper out to the "poopy diaper barrel" (Yes! A diaper! From my SON!! Don't worry, I'm getting there...) by the Guards' Shack, one of the guards I hadn't yet met introduced himself and said, "Hello. I am your friend. I am here to keep you safe. You can count on me."
Back to the Guest House Compound for a minute: The main house is a stucco/concrete-type building with varied tile flooring in different parts of the house, and chicken wire-ish mesh on the windows, along with black iron bars. It has some nice, new, beautiful things, which I didn't expect to see... Mission-ish style sofas and chairs with a suede-ish fabric, a mammoth dining table, gorgeous oil paintings of various African themes/scenes, etc.
That first night here, I slept three hours at most, mostly because I was so keyed up about what the day ahead might hold. Despite the afore-mentioned deet application, Corey was still in protective over-drive, and insisted that I assist him in testing out numerous configurations of mosquito netting before we laid down to sleep.
We had wonderful cold showers in the morning. (I'm serious! It feels really good in this muggy heat.) There is no hot water here. Then, we had pancakes and waited for one of the Acres' Staff to come by and go over our paperwork. It was shocking to see how different the reality was from what had been communicated to us. We were told Micah's adoption was finalized end of June, but it didn't actually happen until mid August, there was no problem with his Birth Certificate as we had been told just days before we left, etc. Ultimately, it all looked good, and we went to the Embassy after lunch.
We couldn't tell whether you were supposed to take a number or what, so we just sat down in the waiting area. There were only two other family groups there. Shortly after we sat down, a staff person waved us up to the counter. She asked us our name, immediately knew who we were, and sent us to the adjoining conference room to meet with Alma. Alma was nothing short of wonderful. She was friendly and easy-going. She raved about how cute Micah was in his pictures, and said everything looked in order except for a missing Medical Report. She said they would look over the file more closely over the next couple days, and if the Medical Report is submitted before Tuesday, we could plan on coming back to get Micah's Visa on Tuesday at 2:00. Some of you know what a miracle this is. For the rest of you... just trust me! God has HUGELY granted us favor here. We can't thank all of you enough for all your prayers!!! We were elated about how our meeting went.
We tried to get the Acres' Staff to deliver a copy of the Medical Report, and waited for it at the Embassy for two hours, but they never came. In the end, they said the Doctor who did the exam would have to print a new copy, and that they'd deliver it on Monday. Please pray with us that the Medical Report will indeed be delivered as promised on Monday, and that no other issues will crop up as Alma and her staff review Micah's case. Also, please be in prayer with us for our agency as they are experiencing significant communication problems and growth pains, as we are seeing first hand. Despite the frustrations we have/are experiencing, I do have to say it is nothing short of a divine privilege to see the wonderful help that is being provided to these children in the midst of the chaos. The staff here in Liberia, from the house keepers at the Guest House to the Office Staff, are absolutely fabulous.
When we got back from the Embassy, our friends Scott and Katy were here! We were hugging them, and all talking at once, when I heard somebody say, "Do you want YOUR baby?" It's at this point that I realize there are other people standing off to the side of us, and sure enough, Sydnee, one of the Orphanage Workers, was holding Micah!!!!! Our long-awaited introduction to our son was like something out of a movie, I kid you not. I lifted him out of Sydnee's arms, and he grinned ear to ear. Thankfully, Katy was right there snapping away in true Paparazzi fashion, so I'll be able to share pics with you all later!
Micah is unbelievable. Truly. You will all think I'm making this up, but then you'll see for yourself: He IS the perfect baby, just like the Orphan Report said. He smiles CONSTANTLY, giggles occasionally, and that's about it! No crying. Has a thing or two to teach Kendra about sleeping. Is happy on his front, or on his back. Go with the flow. Totally laid back. Says, "My dadadadada," every now and then. And we think he's crawling. There's not far to go here, but we've seen him go about three feet.
That whole first night, I was definitely enjoying his incredibly laid-back countenance, but I was also thinking, "This isn't good. He doesn't know how to attach! He's happy with anyone! He's not grieving the loss of his nannies!! Aaaagh!!" While those things may prove true, I felt convicted as I laid in bed awake in the middle of the night last night. I was praying, and felt gently reminded that I need not fear the worst, and certainly should not focus on it. God is a God of miracles, and He can absolutely give Micah the supernatural ability to transition with ease if He so chooses. And why wouldn't He? We, and so many of you, have been asking God to do just that. So I'm just enjoying his unreal little personality for what it is, and we'll deal with any problems that come up when they come up. (Of course, I still said about a hundred times today, "He's just too easy!")
Oh, man--I forgot something fun! We got to go to a really neat market right by the Embassy, and purchase a few little things. After a bit of shopping, we were waiting in the van, and there was a boy sitting on some steps about 10 feet away doing homework the whole two hours we were there. I noticed he had taken his pen apart, and was shaking the ink down in the tube so he could write. I hopped out of the van and gave him one of my pens, and have never received a more sincere "Thank you" in my entire life. I think it was the best gift I have ever given.
There is just so, so much to say, and I want to write it all down before I forget, but I really need to go try to get some sleep, so I'll have to write more later. I know I'm writing HUGE entries here; I want to have a really detailed account of all of this to share with Micah down the road. And if anyone is still reading, I hope you're enjoying it! I've got lots to report about the people and the country, but I'll just have to come back to it.