One of the fun things I have been doing lately is scoping out school options for our kids. I attended a private Christian School for a few years when I was little, and spent most of my time in public schools, so I have an idea of what they look like. But I've never set foot in a preschool or seen home schooling in action. I am very fortunate to have two very good friends, both in our Adoption Group, who were willing to let me come spy on them while they were teaching! One teaches at a Christian Preschool, and one home schools. It was a real privilege to see each of them in their element, and get a sense of what those two environments can be like. I have gotten great ideas for things to incorporate in our everyday home life, regardless of how we choose to do school, and the experience has also left me feeling assured that there are many great, just different, options. Like my friend Brandi (who also adopted a boy from Liberia about the same time as us), said recently--We are so privileged to be considering
how we'll do school, as opposed to
if we'll do school. I am really enjoying just soaking in everybody's thoughts and input on their experiences. Consider this an invitation to let me know how you have chosen to do things, and how it has played out for your family! I am all ears.
Of course, you know I took my camera along! It is becoming attached to me. :0) When I put together my Mom's 60th Memory Book, one of my favorite photos was of her teaching in her early 20s. She was a teacher for decades, and yet that was the only non-yearbook photo of her teaching that I found. So, I convinced my friends that they would one day appreciate seeing photos of themselves teaching! If you teach, or whatever you do, make sure you get a few pictures of you doing it, for posterity's sake! And photograph your hubbies, too! You may get a dirty look now, but when you're rocking side by side in the nursing home at 90, he'll thank you for helping him re-live his glory days. Tell him Jamie said so. Ha! :0)
...so for privacy reasons, I can't share photos from the preschool, but I made no such promises to Jenny, whom some of you know. :0) The light streaming in the windows where the two youngest were cooking up chocolate ice cream and chicken for me in their play kitchen was brilliant. How is one supposed to get any schooling done with sweet faces like these looking into your eyes all day long???
