Sunday, February 10, 2008

Weird Things About Me

Missy tagged me to share 5 weird things about myself. So... I usually avoid these blogger games and such like the plague, but I'm going to give in because 1) I have a feeling Missy could become like the "I want my 2 dollars!" kid if I don't succumb to her pressure, 2) I've had way too much fun reading other people's weirdness-es, and 3) I couldn't let Missy's "I want to see if you have anything weird, because you just seem so together" comment go unrebuffed--I am sooo not together! In fact, I have sooo many weirdness-es, I'm going to list 5 from my childhood, and 5 that continue today. Read on, and you'll be left with no doubt that I qualify as weird...

Weirdness from my past...
1) I was voted "biggest eater" of my Senior Class in High School. No, not "cutest smile" or "most popular"... that's right: BIGGEST EATER.

2) I played the tuba for 5 years, and miss it something awful! When I started playing it in the 8th grade, I weighed 97 pounds, and I was the butt of many jokes at our concerts--all you could see was the tuba, and my little legs jutting out from it. They called me "the tuba with legs".

3) I was nick-named "Lips Asparagus" in Middle School, and to this day have no idea why.

4) I was a barrel racer, and my sole desire in life was to become a rodeo cowgirl.

5) I never, ever played with dolls. I had complete disdain for them. My sweet Aunt Lynnae, having had only boys and always spoiling me as her substitute girl, would give me barbie doll after barbie doll. They filled up the bottom drawer of my toy chest, and I only once took them out--to test out putting chapstick on their hair, and to learn how to braid on them.

Weirdness that continues today...
1) I love cemeteries. One of my favorites is where my Grandpa Jim (officially James--the man I was named after) and Grandma Eileen are buried. It is in the country on the outskirts of a small town south of here, and is incredibly peaceful. In fact, Corey and I almost bought the original caretakers' house in that cemetery when we moved to Oregon. You actually have to drive through the cemetery to get to it. While I was delighted with the idea, we realized friends and family coming to visit might not be too keen on it...

3) Less than 2% of the population has my personality type (according to Meyers-Briggs). I once had an Organizational Behavior Analyst ask me to stay behind after doing some group work at a bank I worked with, and she asked permission to do further study on me, because she had never seen anything like my results... She said, "You must be at war within yourself!" because I'm highly analytical, but also highly creative. Well-known people who share my personality type include Napoleon, David Letterman, and Bill Gates. Hmmm... I'm not sure how I feel about that! Definitely WEIRD!!

3) My favorite thing in all the world to eat is clams, steamed and dipped in salt-and-peppered melted butter! YUM!!! (And if there's buttermilk with salt and pepper to go along with them, that's all the better.)

4) I am not a girly-girl. I have never had a pedicure (nor do I want one!), or a massage (except from my hubby, of course), etc. I love to stick my arm in wet, muddy sand up to my shoulder digging for clams, and when I'm in the garden, I put my knees and rear right in the dirt--no protective kneelers and such for me! And no gloves, either. I love the feel of the earth, sand, whatever--in my bare hands.

5) I'm a bit of a political junkie. I love listening to talk radio, and chatting with people about things like what a vote should be based on.