Sunday, December 9, 2007

Our Weekend

We ventured out for the first time as a family of four to get a Christmas Tree! It took us all of 10 minutes, since we wimped out and just went to a lot. ;0)




(Notice Kendra going for the $$$ Noble Fir... ha, ha!)

Then on Saturday afternoon, Kendra and I went to my Mom's 60th Birthday Party. Neither of us were up for it, as we're both sick (actually, all 4 of us are), but I had been working on a Surprise Memory Book for my Mom all year (truly--since January), and there was no way I was going to miss that party! A perfect sampling of people from different "circles" of her life showed up; former teacher co-workers, church friends, neighbors, family... It was great! My Aunts helped me tons with the Memory Book, and they also coordinated the party. I so appreciate everyone who submitted notes about what my Mom means to them. There were two pages for each year of her life; one with a picture, and the other with a note from someone who loves her along with some notes about what happened in her life that year. The book turned out great, and I'm sure Mom will enjoy looking through it for years to come. As she opened it, she said to me, "I sure hope you censored this!" And I said to the whole group, "Well, let's just say 1970 is a picture you're all going to want to see..." So my Aunt Lynnae grabs the Book from my Mom's clutches, and starts flipping to 1970. Little did she know she was part of the 1970 picture:

For those of you who are wondering, I come from a hunting family! Mom (with the rollers in her hair) and Aunt Lynnae had just gotten back from a bear hunt. ;0)


Aunt Annie, Mom (holding the Memory Book), and Aunt Lynnae


I was blessed with a beautiful ending to the day. As I drove home from the Coast, I caught this sunset out the car window while Kendra was snoozing in the back seat. This was over the Umpqua River, just outside of Gardiner.